Autofocus with an Optimum Balance of Accuracy, Speed, Consistency and Reliability
Autofocus is supported subject to certain limitations (see table below for details). We are pleased to report that Panasonic Micro Four Thirds camera bodies are capable of autofocusing fast (large maximum aperture) lenses accurately. Although our first and foremost priority is accuracy, we are able to make great strides in autofocus speed as well.
Autofocus Lens Compatibility List
- No video AF for Olympus
- AF may not work if the maximum aperture of the lens plus any EF Extender or other teleconverter attached is smaller than f/8.
- AFC (continuous AF) and AFF (flexible AF) modes are not supported
- Panasonic video AF may hunt more than a native lens or have unsatisfactory performance.
- Tamron lenses may have unsatisfactory video AF accuracy. Canon and Sigma lenses are fine.
- No support for Focus Stacking and Focus Bracketing on Olympus.
- On Olympus, other than E-M1, you may move the single AF point among any of the 81, but you may not multi-point AF. There is no restriction on E-M1 and Panasonic.
- Very early Olympus models (e.g. E-PL1) have no autofocus support.
- EF-mount lenses are not silent but may make audible click noises during autofocus operation and iris changes which may be picked up by the built-in microphone of the camera. An external microphone is recommended for video.
- Iris changes are in 1/8 stop steps which may be noticeable in video recordings. Programmed exposure mode and shutter priority exposure mode should not be used for video.
- No support for in-camera correction such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion
The following table lists lenses which has been tested. Other lenses not listed here typically works well, too.
|Tested by the community, thanks!
Accurate only on newer cameras such as Panasonic G7, GX8 and GX80/85
Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye*
Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM*
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM*
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM*
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM*
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM*
Canon EF Extender 1.4x III
Canon EF Extender 2x
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC HSM
Sigma 24-105mm f/4 Art
Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 400/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (non-IS)
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC Art
Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art 016*
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD A012*
Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 VC USD F013*
Require external USB power supply owing to high current consumption; AF inaccurate
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM
Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II Macro A18
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A007
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A009*
Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm f/2.8 DX (I)
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC A20
Tamron 150-600/5-6.3 VC USD A011*
|Manual focus only
|Contax N lenses modified by Conurus
Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 VC B005
Zeiss ZE lenses
Focus confirmation "chips"
* with smooth iris support
Note 1: VC function of Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC model A20 may not operate, due to usually high current requirement.
Manual Focus Lens Compatibility
Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster and cause damage to the Speed Booster and/or camera body.
Focus confirmation "chips" such as Dandelion are incompatible.
Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions on Speed Booster are not covered by warranty.
List of manual focus lenses which REQUIRE MODIFICATION to be used on Speed Booster
Elmarit R 28/2.8
Elmarit R 35/2.8
Summicron R 50/2
|Every Pentax K-mount lens has a protruding fin and an aperture lever. It does NOT fit.