Speed Booster ULTRA for E-Mount and X-mount cameras
Sharper corners, less distortion, reduced vignetting
New optical design: advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tanatalum-based optical glass to achieve extraordinary optical performance with improved corner sharpness, distortion and reduced vignetting.
Like the revolutionary original Metabones Speed Booster announced in January 2013, the Speed Booster ULTRA has a magnification of 0.71x, and so it effectively reduces the crop factor of mirrorless cameras with DX-sized sensors, such as Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount cameras, from 1.5x to 1.07x. However, the new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is well corrected for use with virtually all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of exit pupil distance. Thus, the Speed Booster ULTRA performs extremely well with professional-grade f/2.8 zoom lenses such as the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zooms by Canon and Nikon to produce 17-50mm f/2.0 and 50-142mm f/2.0 high-speed zooms, respectively. Similarly, high-speed fixed focal length lenses such as a 50mm f/1.2 will be transformed into a 35.5mm f/0.9 lens with excellent contrast and resolution from the center all the way to the edges of the image.
- Full-frame lens required. EF-S/DX/DC/Di II lenses are NOT supported.
- Speed Booster ULTRA is designed to cover an APS-C image circle which is not big enough to cover a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor. On a full frame camera body (A7 series, NEX-VG900) the camera needs to have "APS-C/Super 35mm" set to either "Auto" or "On".
- Flocking material coated inside the opening to reduce internal reflection.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, Photo cam ball heads.
- Continuous AF and video AF are not supported. (Performance may be unsatisfactory.)
- AF may not work if the maximum aperture of the lens plus any EF Extender or other teleconverter attached is smaller than f/8 before boost or smaller than f/5.6 after boost.
- The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.
- Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
- Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the design and working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony NEX. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.
Tested Camera Bodies:
- No support for lens corrections such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion.
- The EF-mount lens may make audible noises during iris changes and autofocus, wich may be picked up by the built-in microphone of the camera during video recording. Use of an external microphone is advised.
- Early Tamron VC lenses such as the AF 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (model A20), AF 18-270/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO (model B003), SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] (model B005) may not be able to freely switch between OIS and IBIS because they may not report IS activity status. Later Tamron VC lenses equipped with USD or PZD focus motors are fine.
- Some aftermarket battery grips may cause the aperture to change erraneously. This is a bug of the aftermarket battery grip but NOT arising from the Metabones Speed Booster. Turn off the aftermarket battery grip or use a genuine Sony battery grip.
Lens compatibility chart
- A7SII, A7RII, A7II, A7S, A7R, A7
- A6300, A6000
- PXW-FS5, PXW-FS7, NEX-FS700, NEX-FS100
- NEX-EA50, NEX-VG900, NEX-VG30, NEX-VG20, NEX-VG10
- NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5R, NEX-5N, NEX-5, NEX-C3, NEX-3
|Fast AF on all E-mount cameras
||Tested by the community on A7RII for fast phase-detect AF, thanks!
Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye*
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM*
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM*
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM*
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM*
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF Extender 1.4x III
Canon EF Extender 2x II
Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A007
Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 Di VC USD F013*
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A009*
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 35mm f/2L IS USM
Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non-IS)
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM (Mark I)
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 (Ver I)
Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 OS HSM
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OS HSM Contemporary
|Phase-detect AF on A6300, A7II and A7RII only, unable to contrast-detect AF accurately if at all
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
Contax N Vario Sonnar 17-35mm f/2.8
Contax N Planar 50mm f/1.4
Contax N Vario Sonnar 70-200mm f/3.5-4.5
Contax N Planar 85mm f/1.4
1st generation Tamron VC lenses such as Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 VC A20 (note 6)
|Manual focus only
Zeiss CP.2 25mm/T2.9
Zeiss CP.2 100mm/T2.1
Zeiss ZE Distagon 15/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 21/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 35/2
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 50/2
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 100/2
Focus confirmation "chip" (e.g. Dandelion)
List of manual focus lenses which REQUIRE MODIFICATION to be used on Speed Booster ULTRA
- Lenses marked with an asterisk support smooth iris.
- Sony NEX cameras cannot display aperture values beyond f/1.0. If a f/1.2 Canon EF lens is used with Speed Booster ULTRA the resulting aperture is f/0.9 but the camera body displays the original aperture f/1.2 to the camera body. i.e, lenses slower than f/1.4 report boosted aperture to camera body; lenses at or faster than f/1.4 report original aperture to camera body. (with firmware later than V0.38)
- Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster ULTRA and cause damage to the Speed Booster ULTRA and/or camera body.
- Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster ULTRA They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions on Speed Booster are not covered by warranty.
- This Speed Booster ULTRA is NOT fully compatible with full-frame Sony A7 series. When Speed Booster® ULTRA is used with Sony A7 series, the camera will turn on the "APS-C Size Capture" mode automatically.
- VC function of Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC model A20 may not operate, due to usually high current requirement.
Many manual focus lenses have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster ULTRA. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster ULTRA. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster ULTRA. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions or by poor quality adapters are not covered by warranty. The following is an incomplete list of lenses known to be incompatible.
Elmarit R 28/2.8
Elmarit R 35/2.8
Summicron R 50/2
|Every Pentax K-mount lens has a protruding fin and an aperture lever. It does NOT fit.