The adjustable mics, four-track recording and extended battery life of the TASCAM DR-40 give you the flexibility you need to record tracks anywhere.
The DR-40 captures up to four tracks from built-in, high-quality condenser microphones, XLR mic or line inputs. The internal mics are adjustable from XY to AB position, helping you to tailor your recording to the sound of the room. A pair of great-sounding TASCAM microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power, recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution. It accommodates balanced XLR or 1/4" line inputs using locking Neutrik Combo jacks. The DR-40 accepts SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB, and a 2GB card is included.
Once recorded, play back your takes with EQ and the optional Level Align feature to avoid volume jumps. A stereo reverb effect is also built-in, as well as a speaker and chromatic tuner. Transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack. Other features include overdub mode, variable speed playback, limiting and low cut filter, and much more – all with TASCAM's simple-to-use interface. No other recorder makes home or live recording as simple as the TASCAM DR-40.
High-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can record in both A-B and X-Y positions according to the situation
The "DR-40" is equipped with adjustable unidirectional microphones that can be used for recording in both the A-B position and X-Y position. Advanced microphone placing allows for a wide stereo sound recording or a clear stereo sound recording with less phase difference, making it possible to achieve professional quality recordings.
Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL, making it ideal for loud band recordings
Proven high sound pressure design that is perfect for loud recordings such as bands or passing trains. It can be used for recoding quiet sound sources such as lectures or for loud sound sources such as rock bands.
Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level when a peak sound is detected and continues recording. The level can be set automatically according to the sound source, so it is easy for anyone to set the optimal level. The "DR-40" has a total of three different input signal level adjustment functions including a peak reduction function.
Tempo change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments), which is great for practicing music and language study
Includes TASCAM's popular VSA (Variable Speed Audition) function from the Trainer Series. The playback speed can be adjusted without affecting the pitch. This is helpful in various situations such as when arranging and practicing music, for slowing the speed of recorded conversations, and for speeding up playback of meetings.
* The VSA function is only available when playing back files recorded at 44.1kHz/48kHz.
Level align feature prevents uneven volume levels for enhanced listenability
When recording meetings or interviews, there are cases where it is difficult to listen to the playback because the volumes of different people vary. In such cases, the level align function automatically adjusts the sound volume for playback, making it easy to listen.
Locking XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V phantom power
The XLR/TRS stereo inputs make it possible to connect an external condenser microphone and PA console line-level output in addition to the built-in microphone. Highly reliable locking XLR/TRS connectors by NEUTRIK are used. They can be used for supplying phantom power, so general condenser microphones can be used in addition to electret type microphones.
4-channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording, etc.
In addition to normal stereo channel recordings, another set of stereo channels are available making it possible to select one of three operation modes.
Dual Recording Mode
MS decoding function making it possible to use M-S stereo microphones
The same sound source can be recorded at two different levels. A backup file for clipping can be recorded.
Two different stereo materials can be recorded simultaneously. It is possible to perform simultaneous recording using the built-in microphone and an external input.
A new sound source can be recorded as a separate channel while listening to a pre-recorded sound source. This is perfect for music production.
In addition to the A-B/X-Y positions, there is a system for stereo recording using a combination of the omnidirection and bidirectional microphones, and an MS decoding function for connecting microphones for M-S recording.
*M-S type microphone is not included.
Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control can be connected
There is a REMOTE connector that can be used for connecting the optional RC-3F and RC-10 remotes. Hands-free transport control and recording operations can be performed away from the unit.
Other Key Features
- Jump-back playback function that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz WAV/BWF linear PCM recording and long recordings as MP3 files possible
- SD/SDHC/SDXC cards can be used for recording media
- 2GB SD card is included
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini headphone line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer is possible using USB 2.0
- Powered by 3 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P515U)
- Mini USB cable included
- Rubber feet for improving acoustic properties during desktop recordings are included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
- Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
- Auto recording function that can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions make it easy to organize files after recording
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convention for practicing music and studying languages
- Self timer recording function that is helpful for recording your own musical performances
- Three low cut filter levels that cut unnecessary low frequency noise such as from air conditioning equipment