6 mic/line inputs and digital input channels allow simultaneous recording of up to 8 tracks at 96kHz/24-bit
Featuring 6 XLR/TRS inputs with phantom power, and a digital input for versatility. Record live music with multiple mics, capture sound effects in surround, or document film shoots or events with multiple microphones.
When you don't need the digital input, a two-channel mix can be recorded to tracks 7 and 8.
The internal monitoring mix can be recorded as a stereo track, with completely separate level and pan settings from the 6 independent tracks. Share a stereo mix immediately, while retainig the multitrack version for mixdown
TASCAM premium HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps
Microphone preamps have a significant impact on the quality of the recorded audio. The DR-680MKII has HDDA mic preamps - designed by TASCAM with carefully selected components. Each HDDA mic preamp is built with a differential amplification circuit that employs discrete architecture, and made with parts selected for their audio quality. These preamps also provide +48V phantom power.
8-channels recording at 96kHz/24-bit (6 tracks + stereo mix track) or 2 tracks at 192kHz/24-bit
In addition to WAV format, this unit also records in BWF format - which stores the recording start times in the metadata. Using the WAV/BWF format, the DR-680KII can record 8 channels at 96kHz/24-bit (6 tracks + stereo track) or 2 tracks at 192kHz/24-bit.
Simultaneous recording of 4 channels in MP3 format possible
Recording of MP3 files with up to 4 channels is also possible at 96, 128, 192 and 320 kbps. This allows efficient control of files sizes when in situations requiring long recording times. Stereo or mono file can be selected for file type.
Digital output and 6 unbalanced line outputs
The unit has a built-in coaxial digital input and output (S/PDIF, AES/EBU) and 6 unbalanced line outputs. By connecting a mixer to the outputs, this unit can be used as a 6-track playback device.
Mid-side mic decoding mode
The built-in mid-side decoder enables use with mid-side stereo mics. The 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 channel pairs can each be set separately. Decoding is possible during recording or when monitoring.
The Cascade function allows transport control of multiple units using a master unit.
When using the cascade function, the master unit controls the REC/PAUSE start (front of unit) and the STOP and PLAY/PAUSE keys (on the top) from multiple DR-680mkII units at the same time.
GANG function allows the input gain of multiple channels to be operated simultaneously
The GANG function allows multiple linked channels to be controlled at the same time on the TRIM, PAN and LEVEL screens.
Rugged, compact construction provides excellent resistance to vibration and environmental conditions
SD, SDHC and SDXC cards are used as recording and playback media, and the compact form offers excellent vibration resistance. Along with the included shoulder strap, this unit has a built-in folding stand for tabletop use, making operation easy in a variety of situations.
Improvements from the original DR-680
Improved audio quality
Through extended listening tests, a new op-amp and capacitor were selected for the mic preamps to deliver improved audio quality.
Support for SDXC cards
Readily available SD/SDHC cards are used for recording media. The DR-680MKII also supports SDXC cards, which have higher capacities - enabling recording for long periods of time.
Take (file) numbers can be reset using the "Take No. Init" function
The numbers added to recorded file names can be reset. Resetting the take numbers used for each recorded scene is now possible, making file management even easier.
Improved battery life
The newly improved battery life of the DR-680mkII means that the battery now lasts 150% longer than previous DR-680.
Improved clock precision
The precision of the built-in clock oscillator has been improved – making synchronization more accurate when used with video devices.
Dual recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels.
A second file can be recorded simultaneously at a lower level for a distortion-free safety track. This allows you to set the recording level high and make a backup recording at a lower level in case of an unexpected sudden increase in sound level, which may create distortion in the primary file. The DR-680MKII can make −12dB backup recordings of audio input through inputs 1, 3 and 5.
Playback of multitrack recordings
The DR-680MKII can load multitrack audio files. Multitrack materials (multiple mono files) prepared with a DAW, for example, can be played back.
Support for lithium batteries
In addition to alkaline and NiMH batteries, lithium batteries - which can provide extended power - are supported.
Other Key Features
- Dual-recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels
- GANG function allows the input gain of multiple channels to be operated simultaneously
- Pre-recording function allows the capture of audio two seconds before recording is started
- Automatic-recording function can start and stop recording automatically in response to the input signal level (−48, −24, −12 or −6 dB)
- Even when multiple tracks are used, all recordings made at the same time can be managed as a single take/file
- Track incrementation allows a recording to be split by creating a new file at the desired point without interrupting recording
- Up to 1000 takes and 5000 files can be recorded on a single card
- Mark function can be used to move to specific points (up to 99 marks per take)
- Wheel can be used to change the playback position
- Repeat playback function
- Panel lock function to prevent misoperation
- Cascade function allows transport control of multiple DR-680MKII units using a master unit
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- High-speed transfer of files to a computer using USB 2.0
- 128×64-dot matrix display with backlight
- Built-in mono speaker with 500mW output
- Headphone output and level control (50mW+50mW/ 32ohm)
- Powered by 8 AA batteries or the included AC adapter
- USB cable and shoulder strap included
- Folding stand convenient for tabletop use
- CS-DR680 carrying case (sold separately)
- AR-DR680 case by Portabrace also available